Photobucket

Sunday, May 4, 2008

Five things I will NOT miss

OK, after my post about the five (six) things I will definitely miss about Sydney, it is now time to mention five things I will NOT miss. Remember this is just my opinion, I do not mean to offend anyone.

1. Cars
Sydney seems to be a city designed for cars. Pedestrians are at the bottom of the foodchain. When on foot, you are lucky if the traffic light turns green in under ten minutes (and then you have to run to make it across). When crossing a road, you have to have eyes in your back, because there's usually a fastdriving maniac approaching who has no clue about pedestrians. And when they almost knock you off your feet, they'll hoot at you because hey, who are you to think that you have right of way, being a pedestrian? When you are a cyclist, as I am, you are basically an outlaw. I ride my bike on the footpath, as riding on the road is simply too dangerous, especially because I usually take Yara along.
I can't wait to see how this will all change in the future. Sydney's plans for redesigning look promising for pedestrians and cyclists.

2. Taboo topics
I struggle with the fact that some topics seem to be taboo. Like politics. I enjoy a good debate on politics, but more then once I encountered uncomfortable silence or the accusation of being 'aggressive'. Maybe it's just me, or my 'Dutch-ness'. I feel quite rude sometimes, when that is not at all my intention.

3. Men
As divine as I think Sydney women are, I haven't met many very inspiring men (some exceptions). My impression is that Sydney men generally don't really enjoy talking to women, unless they think you are a potential girlfriend or wife. Once they're married, talking to other women seems to be considered boring, tedious, plain akward or maybe even inappropiate. At parties, the men usually hang out with the men and the women with the women.

4. Prices of fruit and vegetables
It just doesn't make sense to me. I am sure there is a perfectly logical explanation, but I don't get why in a country that homegrows all its fruit and veggies, those items have to be so expensive.

5. Unrealistic optimism
OK, it is a disarming quality of the Australians, to be generally optimistic about things and not worry too much. But sometimes it drives me crazy, especially when it's about things I need to get done. Things are NEVER finished or ready in the agreed time, even though beforehand they will always tell you that it isn't going to be a problem.

I have to admit, I needed to stretch it a little bit to make it to five. Of course there are many differences between Holland and Australia, but they are just that: differences, and not one better then the other. I might start a new list soon, about things that I look forward to in Holland and things that I don't look forward to.

2 comments:

Anne said...

You want some more?
Try: expensive hobbies and sports fees, idiots with incredible loud cars, houses that are NOT at all isolated (single glass windows etc.), fund raising everywhere, noise on the street at 6am, out-of-control egg-trowing-youth, rules around every corner, kids that have to behave like grown ups all the time...
But I'm a Belgian, maybe that is why :-)
The thing is: there are lots and lots of things I don't miss from Belgium! So, where is Paradise?

Fe said...

Hmmmm..... sexism, conservative-ism (yes, even though we've now got a Labor govt..... I think we Australians' are extremely socially conservative), apathy, brown snakes, fear-of-debate, fear of being seen as "different" (which kind of comes under conservativism)..... I could go on.

But that things I WOULD miss..... the light, the climate, the smell of Eucalyptus trees, the promise of change (and the optimism to believe that change is possible), the distance from the rest of the world, the space.

*sigh*

But mostly I would (and did when I spent my years o/s) miss the colour of the sun. And the sense of freedom (and potential) that living in such a young country brings.