Photobucket

Monday, May 12, 2008

Bookclub

Another 'last' yesterday. The monthly Bookclub. I remember how the first couple of times I came home afterwards, completely exhausted. Being exposed to twelve strongly opiniated and eloquent Australian women involved in an, at times, fierce discussion, rattled my brain and all I could do was sit, watch, listen and learn. It took me a couple of months to feel confident enough to speak out, partly because I am not as comfortable debating in English as I am in Dutch.
I have thoroughly enjoyed being part of Bookclub. As I tried to express rather clumsily last night, I have enjoyed getting a very interesting insight in Australian culture, and a basic understanding of who's who in Australian literature. Most of all, I have enjoyed getting to know all these women, who, in all their eclectic diversity, make a beautiful, warm and welcoming group. Thank you.




2 comments:

Fe said...

Bookclub will NOT be the same without you, my dear friend. I remember your exhaustion in the early days. I would still be ranting away on the topic of the night, and you would be struggling to explain to me that you needed more time to phrase your opinions.

Oh, how far you've come!

Of course, you are now a virtual member, and as such, an integral part of our discussion and debate (and my book choices) in the future.

Oh how I hate these lasts.

M said...

I agree with Fe, we are losing a very valuable member of our bookclub!

I hope you keep in touch as an expat member via our blog (we'll have to make an extra effort to keep it up to date!)