1. The weather
Even though we had our fair share of rain for the past months, it still beats the everlasting grey skies and drizzles of Holland. I love being able to wear thongs for at least eight months a year (instead of two months, and even that is lucky).
2. Polite people
Sydneysiders are probably the least polite people in Australia, but still, I think they are friendly and kind and never snobby, cranky or arrogant. When I block the footpath with my 3 kids and huge pram, the person behind me will never sigh or make a comment but just wait patiently and give me a friendly smile. And I love being called darling and doll all the time. I know you do it to everybody, but it makes me feel special.
3. The seemingly effortless multi-culturalism
My children have Japanese, Chinese, European, Latin-American and Australian friends. Need I say more?
4. No crowds
Yes, I know Sydney is a big city and most Sydneysiders think it's crowded, but it is still a long shot from the overcrowded beaches of Europe. Even in Sydney itself, on the busiest day of the year, it is still possible to find a beach where your towel is not bordering your neighbours towel and your feet are not in the face of the person behind you.
5. Nature
You don't know how lucky you are! All you have to do is drive for 30 minutes and you are in a gorgeous National Park. Now I think of it, I don't even have to drive, stepping out my front door almost immediately takes me to beautiful and bushy Cremorne Point.
6. Food
It is a miracle that I didn't gain any weight after living in Sydney. I loooove all the muffins, focacia's, falafel, slices and cakes. When you go to a cafe in Holland, you'll be lucky to get a stale, barely defrosted, cardboardlike piece of cliche apple pie. Here, the choice is overwhelming and they all taste good!
O wait, I said five, and I am up to six now. I could probably go on a little longer... My next blog will be about things I will NOT miss about Sydney...

1 comment:
Oh the food is one of the things I miss about Holland! I think here it is everywhere the same! I miss the European influences! The choice at the deli is so boring: ham ham or ham, Oh... salami, salami or salami! What about the French cheeses? Filet American, all the pate's? Hmmm makes my tummy going!
Post a Comment